Friday, June 9, 2017

Sidney Crosby repeatedly punched P.K. Subban's face into the ice in Game 5

By Hemal Jhaveri / For The Win / USA Today | June 8, 2017 9:22 pm
P.K. Subban spent all of Game 3 and Game 4 in Nashville getting under Sidney Crosby’s skin, needling him on and off the ice. In Game 5, Crosby fired back and it went beyond gamesmanship after the final whistle.

At the tail end of the first period, and with the Penguins leading 2-0, Crosby and Subban clashed near the boards behind the net, with Crosby holding Subban down and repeatedly pushing his head into the ice.

The referees were occupied with action on the other end of the ice and didn’t seem to notice or ignored Crosby keeping Subban down for so long.


Sidney Crosby shoving P.K. Subban's head into the ice over and over. Off-setting minors. #Preds pic.twitter.com/B7mUbDat1P
— Mark Harris (@TweetsByHarris) June 9, 2017 >

Players often see what they can get away with from the refs, but this is an egregious missed call, which should have been a five-minute major for Crosby at minimum. Instead, Crosby and Subban got matching two-minute minors, because Subban, when he was finally was able to get up, shoved Crosby.

This play certainly isn’t going to help Crosby’s reputation as a dirty player who is coddled by the league, nor should it.

Speaking to the media after the Penguins 6-0 win, Crosby said Subban was holding his legs.

“He was doing some UFC move on my foot. So I don’t know what he was trying to do. But I was trying to get out of there.”

Subban dismissed the play as “just hockey,” but his coach Peter Laviolette was less willing to overlook the incident.

“I don’t understand it,” he said. “I really don’t understand the call. I saw my guy get his head cross-checked into the ice 10 times. I don’t even know what he did, P.K. I’m not sure. I disagree with the call.”

No comments:

Post a Comment